I would like to extend a theme, so I can add a publication date (from date / to date, perhaps each with a time) during which a page will be published. A number of questions:
- Is that best done with an extension or a theme? If it can be done with an extension, how would that work in broader terms?
- Doing it within a theme should be fairly straight forward:
- Include publication dates as attributes per page in index.php
- Include these attributes in a tab for the pages, so the user can set them (and preset them to publish from 1/1/1970 to eternity)
- In template.php, include the publication attribute and display "this page is not longer available" if outside the publication date. Or could I throw a 404 and if so, how would I do that best?
- Adjust the menu.php to only show currently displayed pages.
- Anything else?
Thanks for any input from your end.