Installation problem: Files uploaded successfully but receive this error

• Hi,

I'm nontechnical and trying to install pagekit but the provided documentation is missing a few specifics for complete beginners so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I upzipped the latest version of pagekit and then uploaded it to the domain on my mediatemple shared hosting plan. But the installation documentation says:

"If you unzip the package locally before uploading, make sure to also include the hidden .htaccess file."

Question 1: How do I make sure to also include the hidden .htaccess file? I have no idea if this is even the right approach, but I opened up the folder properties of the folder I unzipped pagekit in and selected to view hidden files, but no extra files showed up in the folder. There is also already an htaccess file provided. Am I looking for a different file?

Question 2: Without having done anything yet, I opened up the url of my domain and received this error. It seems like this has something to do with a php.ini file but I can't figure out any of the details like what should be in this file, where the file should go, etc. Can anyone tell me if I should be using an existing file and if this file is hidden somehow on the server or locally? And if so, how do I view it and how should I edit it?

Question 3: Is there a Installation How-to somewhere that exists that includes the information I'm missing?

Thanks!

• Hi there and welcome in our forum,

Well the error says that the installer is missing the module, shown in your screenshot, enabled in the php.ini

Thats why you won't be able to run the installer on your hosting plan, if you don't have access to the php.ini which you regularly never have in 99% of the cases. Some holsters provide a possibility to enable or disable some php modules as functions but not often at all.

So your only option is to check out if you can run a local installation and then upload the folder content to your hoster or contact your hoster to ask if they could enable this module for you.

I guess that you have a pretty cheap plan where many regular enabled functions are disabled in that case you can only ask your hoster for support. Pagekit itself has not very much requirements and is very tiny CMS using only small amount resources. It's running fine on weak hardware in most cases and is lightning fast on midrange hosting plans. 4 x virtual cpu is in most cases very nice for Pagekit and it runs then pretty smooth. Price range between 8 and 12 bucks a month depending on the hoster you use.

Well if you want to try out pagekit localy then you can use the build in Webserver and you will see how smooth pagekit runs on your local computer / Mac.

There are many tutorials here in the forum already available how to run a build in Webserver with pagekit.

Overview what you have to do is: On wo does Maschine just download php package and unzip it to your local drive c in a folder called php. After that you add this folder C:/php/ to your user path environment this is for running php.exe command from command line without have to write the whole path to the executable file.

Then you enable two modules pagekit needs if you running php version 7.2 and here you go:

you start from command line of the root folder where you have extracted your pagekit zip file before for example c:/pagekit/ following command:

Code
    1. php pagekit start -s localhost:80

Now you open your browser like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome what ever and just type in as adress: http://localhost

just localhost should do the same and here you go, the installer is starting.

Regards

Fossy

p.s. enabling php modules is easy on local mach one just remove the # infront of the module name in c:/php/php.ini

p.p.s. every pagekit installation zip contains the .htaccess file so you did not anything wrong (on Linux or other Unix Derivates hidden files start with a dot infront) But they are visible on windows machines so after extracting the package you should have no difficulties to find the mentioned file. Just give a try to check out the local possibility running pagekit with build in Webserver you will see after few. headaches how easy it's really is. Even for non technical users 😉

• Provider restrictions can be circumvented in some cases:

Try create file php.ini in pagekit root directory with this content:

Code: php.ini
    1. allow_url_fopen = On

If dont working, open .htaccess file in pagekit root directory and insert this row to the end:

Code: .htaccess
    1. php_value allow_url_fopen On

If this doesnt work, you must contact your provider.

I created a text file and saved it as php.ini and the file only has one line in it (allow_url_fopen = On) and there is nothing else at all in the entire file, is this right?

Yes, that's right, a new file containing only this one line.

Do you mean put this (php_value allow_url_fopen on) on line 123 and nothing more? No open and closing tags of any type, just that one line on line 123?

Yes, you understand it correctly, php_value allow_url_fopen on to new last row without tags