The future of Pagekit

• Hello everybody,

well - I did not have that much time in the past weeks. But I think, I got very interesting news - I had a little phone call with Sascha (CEO of YooTheme) and we talked a bit about the future of Pagekit. Thanks btw saschad for this :-)

The result in a few words: YooTheme would love to see more user input. Actually they would help us to provide more content, develop some branches that fell asleep (taxonomies) - but on the other hand they do not plan a feature-release for Pagekit this year (at least not a feature-release they provided).

There are two things we should be aware of:

1. YooTheme would like to see more community pull requests - more dev power from the community
    2. YooTheme is not going to implement features like taxonomies this year (and I would not be suprised, if it is not going to happen 2019,2020, ...)

saschad also told me that they would migrate YooTheme Pro to Pagekit, if somebody would upgrade Pagekit to VueJS 2.x (that would be easier for them).

Well - I would love to hear your opinion about that :-)

Sascha also told me that he would maybe join our next Hangout.

• Maybe we can develop the pagekit. We need to work together for this. Also Vue 1.x with Vue 2.x too Different, We can to do together list. Most important of all, You could be the leader. İf we can moving together, I accept

• The result in a few words: YooTheme would love to see more user input.

Hm, but what does he exactly mean ? For me as a user i dont see many ways to give them any input. I already told others about pagekit and wrote about my experiences with pk, but what what else can i do as a non-dev ?

• That is exactly what they should do from the begining, let more devs be a part of it. Now many skilled guys left using pagekit as they don't had any input and were waiting for pull requests since ages!

Well i hope that this project won't be left behind everything and well unfortinately i'm not a developer as well, i hope roman, yns and anyone else here in the forum who is skilled in writing code can update this baby to newest stuff. It is overdue that is for sure. yns.wtf made a template based on uikit3 so i don't give up the hope that everything else will be updated too somehow. :)

I would like to help to achieve that very much, but i need to learn so much more first before i could help in any way on the coding side sadly. But we have some other skilled guys here i know it! If all you guys coul really work together then it would be possible for sure!

Look october cms was started by 2 guys only! Now they have a strong support from many developers and the team is way bigger then only two skilled guys. It's all about making adverts at right time and place for such a project i guess.

• Hi,

It's strange, that after years of silence, they would like to see more dev activity :D, if I remember well, they were the ones, who doesn't do anything regarding the community, didn't answered the e-mails, forum post, and gitter.im chats... This behaviour resulted in a massive exodus form dev side, and user side as well. I'm not impressed with this attitude, and this is not the future that this awesome CMS deserves...

What do you think?

• Hi,

It's strange, that after years of silence, they would like to see more dev activity :D, if I remember well, they were the ones, who doesn't do anything regarding the community, didn't answered the e-mails, forum post, and gitter.im chats... This behaviour resulted in a massive exodus form dev side, and user side as well. I'm not impressed with this attitude, and this is not the future that this awesome CMS deserves...

What do you think?

Waoww. You say very right. :/ But we like the pagekit. I want to development Pagekit.

• Waoww. You say very right. :/ But we like the pagekit. I want to development Pagekit.

I would love to see pagekit growing that's for sure. Even i moved my own site for now to october cms as i wanted to have a fresh one with uikit3 and everything, but i would even move back if could port UI3Kitify template to pagekit. I like still the structure from pagekit way more and as well the backend is really simple and easy to use.

Pagekit need newest tech support vue2, uikit3 everything else that is upgradeable as well up to date. Something like google second factor authentification for backend would improve the security too i guess.

p.s. a good functional and multiple instances form builder is a must have too tbh

• Hey everybody,

I wrote my first post regarding this issue trying not to insert my personal feelings. It was just the report of things we talked about in our phone call.

First of all: Yes. That's too late. The Pagekit community had awesome devs on board ( Tobbe , bixie, SAB and many more) but of course nobody wants to develop on a system that's almost dead.

When I started to work with Pagekit, I tried to revive the marketplace, which had round about 3 pages full of extensions. I started creating extensions I needed for small web projects and I started loving Pagekit. That was also the reason why I started this board.

But on the other hand there have been some pull requests, which never got merged. In most cases there has not even been a reply... So I really understand why people started to leave Pagekit's dev team.

Round about a year ago the YooTheme guys started over a channel for Pagekit devs on Gitter - but as the documentation lacks a lot of important information, most of the questions there have not been answered. So this channel died, too.

I remember my own words in the last Pagekit Hangout: If Pagekit does not get updates (VueJS, Webpack, ...) this project is not going to survive.

The reasons why YooTheme can not handle the full dev of Pagekit are really plausible - but in the last time I heard a lot about things that are planned in the future: YooTheme Pro for Pagekit. Taxonomies... Well - that did not happen. Actually I'm pretty disappointed at the moment.

• Feel the same. I am with pagekit since the beginning, I checked out its developping process frequently on github. Was very interesting, to watch a CMS get created form scratch.

I really like the way, pagekit is coded with all its features and components, in backend and frontend. But I never started to really develop with pagekit as in its beginning I had no time, later I waited for promised updates ... I am still waiting.

I studying right now, so coding isn't my main focus, I do it for fun. For me it is not worth develop an application with pagekit if I don't know about it's future even if the CMS its very promising itself. The code and its structure is still in an early stage and can be eventually change pretty fast, consider the outdated frontend framework vue and uikit, dropped bower, symfony and doctrine launching new beta versions ...

Thanks to SPQRInc for your effort, you created great useful extensions.

The LORD is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him. Psalm 28,7

• So hello to all. I've been silently observing for a while from afar and have finally decided to take the leap and move my two main websites onto PageKit from Wordpress. I note that the inactive thing is a bit of an issue here but i'm loving the CMS so think it's worth taking a plung into the community.

What can we do to enhance the community? Well, can we not focus on developing themes first of all? Seems like it would be fairly easy and there's already an extension to assist. I figure if we develop in that area then others will drop in. For me, I don't really feel that the themes already up tick my boxes... but I'm going to customise one of them myself.

Happy to help in the community but my developer knowledge is quite limited (next to zero)... I can do cosmetic stuff such as theming.

• So hello to all. I've been silently observing for a while from afar and have finally decided to take the leap and move my two main websites onto PageKit from Wordpress. I note that the inactive thing is a bit of an issue here but i'm loving the CMS so think it's worth taking a plung into the community.

What can we do to enhance the community? Well, can we not focus on developing themes first of all? Seems like it would be fairly easy and there's already an extension to assist. I figure if we develop in that area then others will drop in. For me, I don't really feel that the themes already up tick my boxes... but I'm going to customise one of them myself.

Happy to help in the community but my developer knowledge is quite limited (next to zero)... I can do cosmetic stuff such as theming.

Same here mate, well but pagekit can need every help it can get actually I guess. If you look at the store there not too much templates available.

Anyway it is possible to with some effort even without programming skills to make a template or two. I guess if way more people would release their stuff as well to the public we would be in another situation actually.

Any help is better then no help right?

• Is pagekit really going away? I just finished my website and I read this. Not very encouraging.

Well i don't think that it is going away at all, but unfortinately more and more people are dropping this cms, even it is a good one, but outdated on depencies and everything. The team behind call it open source, but don't merge code from so many people since ages, only security stuff. So they will update the system for sure when they have time, but looks like they are focusing actually on many other things that brings them money directly, what i can totaly understand, but what i can't how they treated all the people who were writing code.