Googlebot viewport

• Hi guys,

I'm facing a small technical issue with major (negative) impact on SEO. Currently one of my projects (https://www.weisenfeld.info) is not properly interpreted by Googlebot (type = desktop).

Unfortunately the text below the visual is not interpreted at all.

I could fix the error by adding the following CSS (already tested and confirmed):

However, this results in a wrong marker within the sticky table of content widget on the right hand side. If the asset with the CSS is activated, menu items will not be highlighted properly there.

Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Ben

• Hi Ben,

I'm not a pro with css and never worked with vh values before, but it sounds like similar problem I faced in the path.

I'm guessing a global css rule is styling the element you wrote about not the way you would like to have it.

As far I know the styles closest to the object a div for example applies. Sometimes it is easier just to overwrite with: !important; the values interfere to reach the desired results.

If you can describe exactly what you want to reach on which element on that site then we can figure out for sure how to do that.

What I can imagine why it goes wrong that you try to change the way pagekit handles the viewport things. Pagekit has an own viewport system that is more old fashioned one in compare to the viewport settings you used.

Additional info: the support of the viewport techniques differs from browser to browser and different version of the browsers, so to reach max compatibility it should always be considered to use the technique that is most supported.

Kind regards,

Fossy

• Well, the toc only does the things that are visible. It adds an element and some JS to the page.

So I can not imagine that this has something to do with the viewport...?

I guess the problem with the highlighted menu items has something to do with the additions you made - the TOC gets the height of the page and all elements once it’s initiated. If you change these values later, it does no longer match.

• Guys, thanks. I think you got me wrong unfortunately. TOC extension is doing well. However Googlebot does not interpret the whole text below which cannot be ignored from SEO perspective. That‘s why I tried to adjust the viewport to make it visible. Then the TOC does not work properly anymore.

btw: I would love to have one regular session per week to inspect and discuss such issues live to learn from each other, e.g. Google Hangout. Someone interested?

• Guys, thanks. I think you got me wrong unfortunately. TOC extension is doing well. However Googlebot does not interpret the whole text below which cannot be ignored from SEO perspective. That‘s why I tried to adjust the viewport to make it visible. Then the TOC does not work properly anymore.

btw: I would love to have one regular session per week to inspect and discuss such issues live to learn from each other, e.g. Google Hangout. Someone interested?

Well when it comes to seo the extension from Roman was always doing a good job for me. I'm still sure it is a combination of the navigation structure, good content, right keywords and nice meta description. Never had an issue to let index Google bot what ever I wanted.

In general I agree with Roman to build a site from a user point of view to have the best experience on your site is way more important then anything else. Seo you can do always on top after all.