GDPR

• Hi,

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet but as I'm sure you will know there is a new law in europe regarding data protection.

Here is a nice wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…ata_Protection_Regulation

I have around 30 pagekit sites that I run that need GDPR.

As I understand it, GDPR means you have to show every user visiting your site the cookies that you use and ask them to choose which ones they will allow and every 12mths you have to ask them again.

Anyone out there in the dying wilderness of Pagekit Land doing anything for this?

• Hi,

I am just updating my privacy texts ;) Well, you need to inform your users that a cookie will be set, as it's technically necessary. I am not a lawyer, but I'm sure you do not need to ask your users, which cookies they would like to accept... As it's necessary for Pagekit to set a cookie you should be able to simply inform your users and that's it.

You also have to give the user the possibility to get a copy of all saved data.

• Do you have a source for that? The DSGVO (Datenschutzgrundverordnung in German) comes into effect on friday, and I'm pretty sure that I don't have to give the user the possibility to decline the usage of single cookies.

• Hi, yes I saw cookiebot which looks nice but its limited to 100 pages. And cookie control pro is for up to 30 sites. Anyway its looks like maybe you guys are right in the end but it was a fun morning trying to figure something out.

• I have extended the functionality of SPQRInc-cookiewarning plugin slightly. You can check out it on my own page it is working pretty well and is configureable from backend as usual. The addition functionality is to give users the Opt-In or Opt-Out possibility to your visitors to decline or allow cookies. I would like to extend next the plugin to be fully customized from the backend as actually the possibility to change on hover colors isn't available, except you do it on your own or with spqr asset plugin.

• declining cookies makes sense, how did you extend cookiewarning ?

Well cookie consent script has this funktion included, i did only extended the parameters are given to the script but actually it is only cosmetics! The hard part, that is unsolveable for me is to textend their java script to disable all cookies pagekit would set. Roman is a life saver and very skilled guy when it comes to pagekit and i hope that he will be able to provide a solution that is working as it should. If you want to check out the cosmetics you can install the attached version of romans plugin.

• Well - Pagekit's documentation is very basic and is not going into detail in most cases.

The problem is: Cookieconsent is a JavaScript-based solution, which can be extended to ask, whether to accept (opt-in) or decline (opt-out) cookies. That's what Fosphatic Duke did - the pull request is fine, but the problem is, that Pagekit does not know, whether a JS-script was telling to stop setting cookies. So it's necessary to tell the browser somehow, not to store cookies. Or prevent cookies from being saved on an event base.

But that's not easy and I'm not sure, whether that's possible. The good news For German webmasters this is not necessary

Ah: Okay... In Germany that's not necessary (If you know some German: https://www.meuter.de/blog/coo…tz-grundverordnung-dsgvo/)

• Well - Pagekit's documentation is very basic and is not going into detail in most cases.

The problem is: Cookieconsent is a JavaScript-based solution, which can be extended to ask, whether to accept (opt-in) or decline (opt-out) cookies. That's what Fosphatic Duke did - the pull request is fine, but the problem is, that Pagekit does not know, whether a JS-script was telling to stop setting cookies. So it's necessary to tell the browser somehow, not to store cookies. Or prevent cookies from being saved on an event base.

But that's not easy and I'm not sure, whether that's possible. The good news for some of us: For German webmasters this is not necessary (see my post from the beginning).

• what I'm seeing on European sites is that you have the option to accept cookies and then also the option to subsequently delete them so I guess the site looks for the cookies when you visit it and if it finds them the message appears.

Other sites have gone further and actually allow to to choose which cookies to allow and which not.

I think its down to interpretation of the law.

A full on example would be here: https://www.cookiebot.com/en/cookie-declaration/

Which means a page that tells you what cookies are what and which you have accepted and gives you the option to remove certain types.

• I think its down to interpretation of the law.

Well, as far as I am informed, this is a guideline made by the EU. The laws itself are made by the governments of the European countries and may differ. In Germany it's - as far as I am informed - not necessary to opt-in to every cookie, as long as the cookies are required.

Do you know how cookiebot prevents PHP scripts from setting cookies?

• what I'm seeing on European sites is that you have the option to accept cookies and then also the option to subsequently delete them so I guess the site looks for the cookies when you visit it and if it finds them the message appears.

Other sites have gone further and actually allow to to choose which cookies to allow and which not.

I think its down to interpretation of the law.

A full on example would be here: https://www.cookiebot.com/en/cookie-declaration/

Which means a page that tells you what cookies are what and which you have accepted and gives you the option to remove certain types.

Yes that is right, but i hope that roman can do a similiar solution with cookie consent, as it gives already pretty cool features but not a complete solution like cookiebot is. Cookie consent give also the opportunity to show the bar only to those who need to see it as they did extended their script to find out from which country you are surfing and depending on your countires law you will see the bar or even not. Well i guess a proxy user can fake his location anyway but it is a nice idea to prevent unnecessary elements shown on your website.

• this is also complicated stuff, right ?

i just thougt by giving the user the option to decline all cookies, i am on the safe side,

i dont need any information from users anyway

Well the problem is that you can't controll it easy to prevent any plugin or something else in pagekit to not set a cookie. It is complicated yes, but I believe in Roman :) When someone can manage a nice and easy solution for pagekit then he for sure! I would do it myself if my brain would be bright enough for such things, but unfortinately it's not. However roman made this awesome blog series to create his own extension for pagekit and it is very very interresting even hard to get all the code into non developers brain.

I guess i need more input about vue.js first to understand more as i would really like to get better with it to modificate the templates for the needs of the page owner who ever, or even myself to make it more user friendly and have the most important parameters directly in the backend configureable. I hope that Youtheme will update pagekit soon to newest things like uikit v3 and webkit latest version support etc. Implement some more userability in customizing, like they Youtheme Pro stuff, that would be just mazing and save so much time i guess.